On Jul 6, 2007, at 6:23 AM, Tom Schlangen wrote:

in a large text using document class "book (koma-script"), I noticed automatic hyphenations being done across pages, which I doubt is correct behaviour according to typesetting rules. At least, it looks very ugly.

In the Lyx manual it is mentioned that the auto-hyphenation actually is done by Latex (in my case: MikTex, Windows version, at current patchlevel) according to language rules (which I did set accordingly).

Is there a chance to influence/forbid cross-page hyphenation by means of the LyX frontend, or is this just a MikTeX bug?

Not a bug, an intractable problem.

It can be addressed to some extent by setting

\brokenpenalty=10000

but that won't persuade LaTeX to re-flow the paragraph, but will carry the offending line to the next page, which depending on available glue and the flexibility of the page layout (esp. whether or \raggedbottom is in effect) and your expectations (do you want spreads to cross-align, how many lines short can one make pages run &c.) may not work out.

Normally this sort of thing is addressed as one of the final typographic adjustments (prevent the hyphenation by \mbox'ing the text, re-run LaTeX, see if the paragraph gained or lost a line, adjust if need be (\looseness+/-1), see if some other bad hyphenation appeared, repeat until the page comes out as desired).

Ages ago, when I was [EMAIL PROTECTED] I posted a lengthy description of my process for this sort of thing to the Typo-L mailing list --- mostly common-sense derived from experience you might find it useful to save you from some working at cross-purposes.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer