> > Hello,
> >       I have linux (opensuse 10.2) and I want to
> know:
> >
> > 1) if I can install other distros of Tex like
> XeTeX,
> > Tex Live, ConTeXt, etc., instead Latex and to use
> this
> > with Lyx.
> >
> > 2) If I get a gain with this, like no package
> clash
> > (ConTeXt), add more easy font (XeTeX), etc.
> >
> >  Regards
> >  Marcelo
> >

> Hi!
>
> I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'll try to
> answer (and I'd be
> happy to hear better explanations from people who
> know more):
>
> As far as I understand, there are a few different
> levels: there's the
> tex "distribution" (tetex, texlive, ...); there are
> different sets of
> macros built around tex (latex, context); and
> finally, there are
> different tex "engines", which provide extensions to
> "official" tex
> (etex, xetex). These different engines are often
> also aware of the macro
> packages such as latex (elatex, xelatex).
> Specifically, xetex is meant
> to extend tex with true Unicode support, and also
> provides font handling
> which allows the usage of TrueType and OpenType
> fonts.
>
> The various distributions provide different
> combinations of engines and
> macro sets. For example, texlive provides both latex
> (which appears to
> actually be elatex?) and xelatex (and maybe more).
>
> LyX works with LaTeX. I have used lyx with tetex in
> the past, and
> currently am using it with texlive, and both worked
> without any
> problems. But in both cases, it's the *latex* that
> I've used with LyX

 I am interested in XeTeX because it promise easy
"font handling which allows the usage of TrueType and
OpenType fonts". Add new fonts for Latex and Lyx is
very dificult for me. I don´t understand instrucction
for it. For me instruction look like a hot hell.
 XeTeX work with Lyx?
 Thanks
 Marcelo

¡Sé un mejor ambientalista!
Encontrá consejos para cuidar el lugar donde vivimos.
http://ar.yahoo.com/promos/mejorambientalista.html