Yes it should, but I continue to experience problems with widows and orphans, too. I think that in many cases manually fine-tuning the document is inevitable.

Tweaking the layout is always the very last thing I do to a document once the content is settled. Then -- if at all necessary -- I start thinking about type area calculation, page margins, club- and widowpenalty and the like.

From what I've read about widows and orphans this is not at all LyX's fault but something that many TeX and LaTeX users experience. I have to admit that I was disappointed when I started using LyX and found widows and orphans in my documents.

But I learned how to get rid of them -- preventing most of them to occur and wiping out whatever few remained. Try this with a well-known word processor and a 300+ pages book and you're in for a lot of alcohol abuse.

So it's unlovely, but it's no drama. :-)

Cheers,
-- Christian

Donn Ingle wrote:
But maybe I did not even get the problem? You say the poem's title is
orphaned, so I suppose there's other text, too. Then why not simply
insert a page break before the poem's title?

I thought of that, and of course it works, but I wanted Lyx to handle
the odd case of orphaned sections automatically. I go back and forth,
editing this and that and after a while pagebreaks become a problem.

It's a solution, but it's not ideal -- and Lyx *should* be handling
sections properly. No?

\d