On Friday 07 December 2007 19:47:25 Christopher Menzel wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am unable to import some older LyX files (from 2000 -- LyX format
> version 215) and I'm not finding any solutions on the web or the LyX
> archives or Wiki.  Inside LyX, I get the following msg:
>
>    (MyFile) is from a different version of LyX, but the lyx2lyx script
> failed to convert it.
>
> When I try to run lyx2lyx from the command line I get the following
> debug info:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "./lyx2lyx", line 101, in <module>
>      sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
>    File "./lyx2lyx", line 92, in main
>      file = LyX.File(end_format, input, output, error, debug,
> try_hard, cjk_encoding)
>    File "/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/lyx2lyx/LyX.py",
> line 556, in __init__
>      self.read()
>    File "/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/lyx2lyx/LyX.py",
> line 242, in read
>      self.encoding = get_encoding(self.language, self.inputencoding,
> self.format, self.cjk_encoding)
>    File "/Applications/LyX.app/Contents/Resources/lyx2lyx/LyX.py",
> line 128, in get_encoding
>      return lang[language][3]
> KeyError: 'default'
>
> Looking through the LyX file, I do not see any unusual characters;
> appears to be standard ASCII all the way.  Help/advice appreciated.

  A fix to this problem was committed to the next version (1.5.3).

Meanwhile a simple fix is to change the file by hand.

Where it says (in the first lines of the file)

\language default

change it to

\language english

As I said this problem is already fixed in svn. This is just a shortcut in the
meanwhile.

--
José Abílio