> I'd like to hear about reasonable use cases.

It would be nice to have this dual-editing feature but I frankly do
not see any usefulness of it. Lyx' output is better than latex, but
not really WYSIWYG. If something can not be done in lyx and has to be
entered by ERT, the source editing mode will not help.

If people would like to have WYSIWYG, please try Bakoma, it allows you
to edit latex source code, and its DVI output. It is great for small
articles, especially for presentations. The biggest problem is that
you will have to input plain latex code most of the time.

Bo