Thanks Mark and Richard for your replies.

That's true, apparently a lot of tetex-related packages were missing in my
Linux setup. (Why aren't they added automatically by the lyx setup ?
Following Richard, i'll forward this to the Ubuntu forums.)

After adding them, the error message is gone. However, I have a minor side
effect. The DVI files now open under "xdvik". I don't like this previewer
too much: the page barely fills half of the screen, and maximizing is not
remembered. I'd like to return to the "original" DVI previewer, the one
which did not display the docs. but showed correctly the pages that I wrote
myself.

I guess this is the setting under tools - preferences - files formats -
DVI - viewer because it reads "xdvik" there, but I don't know what to put
instead. In my windows setup it is "auto". Maybe I could try this?

Regards,

Daniel CLEMENT