Christopher Reeve wrote:
Yes, I guess it is sort of in line with Firefox. Only with Firefox you have literally a new window where you can have a new set of tabs. What LyX is actually doing is cloning the current window, rather than creating a new one which no other software I know is able to do.
Right. But this will change in 1.6 (look at the rationale for the change in the wiki http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/NewInLyX16)

Until now I have been happy if an editor has the ability to reload a document without scrolling back to the top so that I can accomplish the same thing.
LyX supports this when session handling is enabled.

Perhaps replacing the name with "Clone Window" at its existing place would be more intuitive. A new idea, why not have a new key word... Alternatively as you say a Window menu could be added and the buffers currently listed under View put there together with something again like "Clone Window". I don't know how much you are involved with the development and would like to suggest that?
I am behind the multiview feature so I guess I can say that I am quite involved with the development :-)

There is a definite advantage in having the buffers in a new window as opposed to a new tab since it is sometimes useful to look at two parts of a file side by side. I hope that won't change in LyX 1.6 :)
No, only one Buffer per opened document is allowed and LyX 1.6 won't change that. But LyX 1.6 will be more flexible WRT tabs.

Abdel.

PS: please try to keep discussion on list so that others may benefit from the discussion.