I got the following question from a friend, any ideas?
(I'm not on Mac...)

-------------------

Thanks -- it's probably really stupid, so try not to laugh...

When I click the pdf icon (LyX 5 but the same happens in
older versions with menu commands), it opens a viewer
(in my case Preview.app on Mac OS X) and displays the pdf.
So far so good.

If I make changes to the document, and click the refresh pdf
icon to the right of the pdf icon, it goes away and does
something, but there is no visible effect -- the pdf in my
viewer does not update. If I close the pdf viewer window and
click the pdf icon, I see the revised pdf in a new window.

So I'm baffled by what the refresh icon actually does and
how I am supposed to use it. I'm obviously missing something
pretty basic here!

/Christian