Hey Roger,

I completely sypathize with you and using equations in my documents is one
of the main reason I use latex. Just a thought though to perhaps ease the
pain of transition. How about taking your ms word file, converting it into
an open office file and then from there using the conversion from open
office (ODF) to lyx/latex. I think there is also a fairly reliable converter
between lyx/odt to go back and forth if you need to, but check the wiki for
more details.

Also, you should consider trying some of the keyboard short cuts to input
equations in lyx - most of the latex ones work - since it really helps speed
up the equation writing process. I find that since I'm able to use the
keyboard to enter about 85% of the equation, and the other 15% I use the
math toolbar for some of the more uncommon math characters (or the ones i
don't know the keyboard shortcut for), that I can practically write all of
my equations and in about 1/3 of the time it would take me to write it in
equation editor. Plus, all my equations look so much better when printed. My
only point here, is that if you need to edit your equations anyways it might
be relatively easy to just rewrite any equations you need in lyx and then
you'll end up with a fully working lyx document - plus its something you can
put under revision control (like subversion).

Good luck,
Ryan