On Dec 23, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Daniel Lohmann wrote:

On 22.12.2007, at 17:59, Jens Noeckel wrote:

On Dec 22, 2007, at 5:12 AM, Bennett Helm wrote:

On Dec 21, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Daniel Lohmann wrote:

And finally, on LyX OS-X related question:
How can I use the "Ctrl" key in LyX key bindings? "C" is apparently bound to the "Apple/Command" key and "M" is bound to the "Alt" key. All this makes sense, of course, I would just like to use the "Ctrl" key as well.

I believe this is a Qt/Mac limitation and so out of our control.

Bennett

When you say "use Ctrl as well", do you mean you want Ctrl and Command keys to be switched? If that's what you want, it requires modifying the file
src/gui/kernel/qkeymapper_mac.cpp
in the qt-mac-opensource source distribution. I've done that and have compiled LyX 1.5.3 with it. That way, LyX uses Apple/Command as a meta key, and Ctrl as the control key. I can put that binary online, and post more details on the QT patch, if anyone is interested. I hadn't done that because I haven't had a chance to work with the new version myself yet (my main LyX is still at version 1.4).

Jens

Thanks Jens,

However, what I actually want is to use *both* keys within LyX. Apparently (according to Bennett) this is not possible because of a MacQt limitation.

Daniel

Daniel,
yes - I don't think we can have all three modifiers (Ctrl, Apple and Option) work "completely" independently in LyX. Although Qt defines all three,
Qt::ControlModifier
Qt::MetaModifier
Qt::AltModifier
as separate values, Lyx doesn't let us use them. The Option key is somewhat special: unfortunatley, Lyx doesn't recognize the difference between "Command-w" (key binding for "copy"), and "Option-w". But _some_ Option-key combinations are caught at a lower level and then work in a way that the analogous Command-key combination doesn't do. E.g., "Option-u o" produces the umlaut ö, but "Command-u o" doesn't.

Here is an old reference on this issue:
http://osdir.com/ml/editors.lyx.general/2004-09/msg00207.html

That email was how I started using the patched Qt where Command and Ctrl are "un"-switched. I'm posting the patched binaries at
http://www.uoregon.edu/~noeckel/LyX/

Starting to test it now, and already found another issue to add to the list: The key combinations "M-~S-less" and "M-~S-greater" aren't recognized anymore. So the xemacs binding for buffer-begin and buffer-end no longer work correctly. This holds for the official binaries (on Intel and PPC), and I see the same with my own builds. More precisely, it still works if I press "Option" as the Meta key, but not if I press "Ctrl" (for the official binary) as Meta. This used to work in LyX 1.4 - and the new behavior is clearly inconsistent.

Jens