On Jan 15, 2008 6:54 AM, Milen Ivanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>

> Just a note for Linux rookies like me who might want the latest version
> of LyX.
>

> Unfortunately the recent discussion on Linux distributions came just few
> days too late for me. I chose Fedora 8 (Gnome) for my laptop because

The results of that are now a bit out of date as Fedora 8 has the
latest Lyx (1.5.3), so as Neal Becker points out below all you need to
do is to install the latest available package.  The advantages of
using a package-based distro (whether it's rpm based (e.g. Fedora,
Mandriva, SuSE) or deb based (e.g. Debian, Ubuntu) is that
removing/upgrading the program (and all it's dependent parts) is much
cleaner and easier. It also allows you to benefit from the experience
of someone who has made it their specialty and expertise to figure out
exactly how the upstream source can be best integrated with the rest
of the distribution.

There is some excellent documentation available on software management
in Fedora here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/

HTH,
Oisin Feeley