Questions:
(1) is compilation on Ubuntu difficult? I thinks that compiling and installing
manually should avoid the problem I mentioned;
It shouldn't be. You just need to make sure you have the qt-devel packages, I think. but you'll see when you run ./configure if you have problems.

(2) if (1) is not practical, can anyone suggest all the symlink that I should
set up to persuade Synaptic that I have already a TeX system running?
I think it uses a database of installed packages to resolve dependencies. But you might be able to force the install. I know you can do this with rpm, using the --nodeps switch.

rh