On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:32:02 -0500
Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 February 2008 02:07, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> > JOHN CULLETON wrote:
> > > While in the process of trying to add things like Qt4 to my Slack 12
> > > system I managed to mung my ability to send outgoing mail. I
> > > reinstalled on a fresh partition but I still have problems. So among
> > > other things I am giving up on Lyx. More to the point, I am giving up
> > > on recommending Lyx to TEX newbies. If someone can cite a version of
> > > Lyx that runs without tears on the latest stable version of Slack
> > > (12) then I may give it a try again.
> > >
> > > There seems to be a virus infecting developers all over the net that
> > > compels them to use the newest tools even though the newest tools are
> > > not widely available.
> >
> > Please stop this non sense.
>
> Makes perfect sense to me, and I couldn't have said it better myself. A
> person should not have to upgrade their distro every few months in order to
> compile the latest apps.

You are getting you direction wrong, a person should have to upgrade their
software to keep working with their old distro. Upgraded software quite
understandably uses upgraded libraries which quite understandably requires
upgrading dependent software. Otherwise you would greatly cripple any
advancement of software. And that's what distros are for, to make sure that you
upgrade all dependencies at one time.