rh,

Thanx for answering, eventhough you didn't give me straight answers (most
likely cos my questions were all over the place) I think that having several
TeX might be what confuses my lyx. I assume that uninstalling them
(including Lyx) and then installing one TeX and Lyx should solve most of the
problems.

regarding the message:

\makeatother
> The control sequence at the end of the top line
> of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
> misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
> spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
> and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

it pops up either when I want to print, or when I want to see de DVI even
when I want to export to PDF... So other than what I see on screen I have no
idea of how my docs look like.
at times it says that my printer is not install properly but so far I
haven't had any problems printing from any other software.