Thanks for the many answers. Once again, I learned about features I hadn't used before, such as the source view and other useful things.

I exported my document to LaTeX and looked at it in a TeX editor and got exactly the same error messages. Then I took my minimal example from the first mail and it wouldn't compile either. TeX seemed to complain about every single letter (always some kind of encoding problems). Then I made a completely new minimal example with not more than seven lines in the TeX editor and again got the error messages. Funny enough, I got error messages for unreadable letters or signs in lines one to seven, but also in line eight, nine, ten up to twenty- something (where I gave up hitting enter). Well, I hadn't even deleted a space there...

So I figured it could be due to my TeX distribution and re-installed it and now everything works fine again. I wouldn't call this a ›solution‹ and still don't know why it got broken from one day to another, but at least I can work with it again.

Thanks again for helping and stormy greetings from Vienna,

Max
See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html for details.