OK.  So I tried the suggested mechanism, using the Windows
installer for the complete product; a total of about 109MBytes
of download.  All was properly installed.  Yet, when I try to
configure a new document, the list of document classes shows
that article(Springer LNCS) is unavailable.

Haven't had time to try some of the other suggestions given
by other respondents.  I will get to this later this day - about
ten to twelve hours.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

wrb