On  8.03.08, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > I wonder, whether there is a lyx function that can be used to place the
> > cursor in the relevant line.

> one possibility would be use paragraph-goto but it will be quite tricky
> to get the right number of paragraph. not every indexing number here has its
> own counter part in visible document etc...

Is there some documentation for paragraph-goto?

What argument does it expect (integer number, I suppose).

How is a "paragraph" defined in the lyx-source? Is it possible to parse it
to find out (e.g. by counting the blank lines before the line-in-question?

> > (There is a function called "server-goto-file-row", however, I did
> > not find out what exactly it is supposed to do or what arguments it
> > expects.)
> purpose of this function is to set the cursor based on the given TeX
> source row.

This means the LyX-readable tex source in the tmp dir, not a source
generated with File>Export, right?

What arguments does this function expcect? Something like

   server-goto-file-row /tmp/lyx_tmpdir3193YwEozQ/lyx_tmpbuf0/test.tex 320

?

> so other possibility would be to do your grep over
> generated tex file and pass the result via this function.

The problem is, that I want to do

a) fast opening of lyx files on the (or near the) interesting point from a
   list of grep-results, as well as

b) grep-and-replace on the source file

as powerful replacement for the missing regular-expression search and
search-and-replace-in-math features.

For a), relying on temporary latex files in an unknown location is not an
option.

For b), using the tex source might work after actualisation of the
PS|DVI|PDF view if the lyx->tex->lyx conversion cycle is lossless and
save for production use. However, I learned that the tmp-tex files are
not meant for human use :-(

So it looks like paragraph-goto is the way to go (until we get a row-goto
lfun alongside it).

Thanks

Guenter