On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Charlse Darwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just installed LyX via MacPorts and now have a newbie question for you
> all:
>
>  I get following error message:
>
>  ``The layout file requested by this document, article.layout, is not
> usable. This is probably because a LaTeX class or style file required by it
> is not available. See the Customization documentation for more information.
> LyX will not be able to produce output.''
>
>  when I try to open a .tex file. What's going on and what are we talking
> about?
>
>  $ uname -a
>  Darwin Mac.loc 8.11.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10 18:26:00 PDT
> 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc
>  $

Sounds like you haven't installed a TeX distribution. The distribution
will contain article.cls which article.layout needs.

I don't know much about Mac stuff, but I thought MacTeX was a popular
option. I'm sure there are other ways. Actually, I just looked at
MacPorts and they have TeXLive (this is the prefered distribution for
Linux). You need to install TeXLive which is a TeX distribution.

Cheers,
/Bob