Nicolás wrote:
I see your point. I still think that something could be done (I am a persistent person! :-) ). Many applications have an initial screen that is displayed while all the needed libraries, etc are loaded. LyX may have something similar. Once LyX is launched, and before latex.exe is invoked, an initial screen could be displayed saying something like "LyX is being started. This make take some time.". In most of the cases, this screen would be closed before the user can read anything. In cases where Miktex needs to download something, the user would know it may take time to launch LyX.

Your LaTeX configuration gets scanned twice, once during installation and again the first time you launch LyX. AFAIK, the first scan is to establish a system-wide default configuration and the second scan is to establish a user-specific configuration, but I might be wrong. I think the installation script says something about it (with a warning that it might take a while). I don't recall a similar warning the first time you launch LyX. Since the same delay can occur later on if you reconfigure and a required package has since gone missing, or if you switched your MiKTeX setting from "don't download" or "nag me" to "download automatically", it would make sense for Tools -> Reconfigure to issue a warning. Perhaps you should enter it into bugzilla as an enhancement request.

/Paul