On Thu, 1 May 2008 10:02:30 -0400
Steve Litt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 01 May 2008 09:42, Neal Becker wrote:
> > I pointed one of my colleagues to lyx.  She showed me winedt, which she
> > uses.  I'm not sure what advantages one has over the other.  Any info on
> > this topic?
>
> First, winedt is a Windows only product. If your collegue is absolutely,
> positively certain she'll never use Linux or MacOS, even if Microsoft's next
> OS is even crummier than Vista, then that's not a problem.

That's not going to convince anyone.
There are a bunch of similar products that are cross platform. The closest to
winedt I know is texmaker http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/
emacs and vim are a very different approach and I guess windows users won't
like them.

> The other thing is winedt and LyX are totally different animals. winedt is a

That is true.

> text editor with which you code LaTeX. It has macros and buttons to make tag
> creation easier, and syntax coloring to make tag detection easier, but it's a
> text editor showing all the tags.
>
> LyX is a much more WYSIWYG product (yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to
> it). Unless you use ERT, there are no tags in the LyX authoring environment.
> For me, not having to mess with tags is essential to pounding out 2000 words
> per day.

Lyx looks wysiwyg but I wouldn't exactly consider it such. It is more a
document preparation system that uses tex as the background. It doesn't work
with tex files directly and can export to other formats. When you import tex
files it converts them into lyx files (keeping parts it doesn't know as ert).
If you re export they won't look the same. It hides most latex stuff from the
user unless you really try to see it.

winedt works directly with the latex files and is just a fancy editor with
syntax highlighting, menu shortcuts and such. It doesn't render any of the
elements (images, math, tables ...). emacs can do that, but it's also still an
editor that works with the tex file.