Olivier Ripoll wrote:
Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Olivier Ripoll schrieb:

It works fine here (no crash yet). As for the previous versions (svn1 and svn2), the installer detects that I have the dictionaries installed (English and French), but spell checking fails complaining:
  The Spellchecker could not be started
  No words list can be found for the language "en_US".
I see the same message in the console when I start lyx from there.

I couldn't reproduce this problem. Does Aspell work with your existing LyX 1.5 installation?

I did not have 1.5 installed. So I installed yesterday the 1.5.4 from LyX-1.5.4-1-Installer.exe. During the installation, I checked the download of English and French dictionaries. As for 1.6, the spellchecking does not work (same error message, but only as a popup, I do not see it in the console if I start LyX from there... probably some debug option).

Ok, I managed to get aspell to work ... finally. I had installed 1.5.4 for all users, so its aspell dictionaries were not in the same place as 1.6 expected. Copying them into the right tree made LyX 1.6 find them. It seems there was only the German dictionary there, so spell-checking in English could not work (*)

Then I de-installed everything from aspell and both lyx versions (except LyX 1.6 user preferences), and I noticed LyX 1.6alpha2 installer was still pretending that I had English and French dictionaries already installed. Puzzling, since a search for files/folders containing the word "aspell" on the hard drive returned no matches (same in the registry).
At that step, spell-checking failed again.

I then installed by hand the dictionaries (aspell6-fr-0.50-3.exe and aspell6-en-6.0-0.exe) but spell-checking was now failing to find some "iso" "cset" files IIRC. Re-installing 1.5.4 for me only, then de-installing it solved the issue. In the "add/remove software", I noticed that the difference seems to be the presence of "aspell data". I found some installer file for it in the uploads of the wiki (aspelldata-0.60.4-root.exe). I might use it in the future to avoid installing/removing 1.5.

So, to summarise:
- LyX 1.5.4 probably failed because it was looking in the wrong tree for English/French dictionaries (all users vs. my user name).
- LyX 1.6alpha2 seems to fail to install aspelldata and dictionaries.
- Now, spell-checking works fine :-)

Best regards,

Olivier

(*) I however do not think I ever asked the installers to install the German dictionary... I do not write German documents (well, I hardly speak German anyway) Perhaps to do with my regional settings (switzerland)