On 12.05.08, Daniel CLEMENT wrote:
> Hi,

> I have a lot of DSF vector drawings (made under Designer, a Windows
> program). They have been exported as EPS.

> Now that I am working under Linux, I could import them (the EPS ones) in
> LyX. But I need to modify some of them, say, in OOdraw or Inkscape or
> Xara...

> What do you think would be my best choice as an export format from
> Designer? It would be even better if LyX handled it directly.

The best choice (for Inkskape) should be SVG. LyX can be set to support it
directly (search for SVG on wiki.lyx.org).

> Here is a sample of export formats offered by Designer: AI, PSD, DXF,
> MGX, PLT, IGS, PPF, PNG, SCT, EMF (not to mention WMF).

Have a look which of these Inkskape supports (do not use the bitmap
formats as PNG) and try how it works. OOdraw should also support WMF.

If OOdraw has a command line option to convert WMF to PFD or EPS, you
could even make LyX aware of the WMF format (search for SVG on
wiki.lyx.org as an template on how to configure LyX for WMF).

> These graphics will appear in documents for printing and pdf output.

If you use pdflatex, preferabely save the drawings as pdf (but LyX can
be told to convert eps to pdf as well).
If you use latex+dvips+ps2pdf, save them as eps (but LyX can be told to
convert to eps as well).

Günter