Thank you for the suggestion but  unfortunately I really need to put a footnote
without a symbol or anything.  I am trying to use Lyx for my thesis.  Our
college requires that if any of the chapters has already appeared as a
publication that we need to list it on the first page of the chapter as a
footnote.  This is why I just want put a footnote at the bottom without having
it attached to a symbol in the main body.