On Tuesday 03 June 2008 10:50:01 pm Jeremy M. Kritt wrote:
> Dear Ed:
>
> Your problem is easy to solve. Be not afraid! You need to add a label to
> each reference in Endnote; afterwards, export it to a Bibtex file.
>
> When you enter Endnote, open a reference in your Endnote library. Scroll
> down and you will see a field titled "Label." The label will become the
> Bibtex key in your .bib file when you export to the .bib file. The Bibtex
> key is important because it is the reference's unique identifier. Without
> it, the .bib entry for a particular reference is incomplete and
> unrecognizable for processing.
>
> For a reference like Nahm, A.C. (1996). Korea: Tradition & Transformation,
> Seoul, Hollym International Corp. I would make the label Nahm1996 (no
> spaces).
>
> Unfortunately, you will have to make labels for the entire library you want
> to export. This can be time consuming; however, you will get into the habit
> of entering a label when you enter new references to Endnote in the future.

If you have many references stored in Endnote, a more economical solution is
to rely on one of the many freely available BibTeX reference managers. Many
of them will  import key-less references and then will give you the option
to generate keys automatically for the whole library. BibDesk (Macintosh
only) does it almost automatically. JabRef (written in Java) offers it as an
option.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
University of Texas A&M           Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
College Station, TX 77843-4237