> It is not just the accents but also hyphenation patterns etc.
>
> The distinction is similar to german and ngerman (i.e. old and new
> spelling), only that the reform in Greece was 20 years earlier).
>
> OTOH, it can be a big timesave if you can input "strange" characters as a
> combination of ASCII chars. Comparable to the input of math, where I
> would not like to search for an integral sign in a unicode chart every
> time I need an integral. This is what I like about the WYSIWYM feature:
> input and on-screen rendering are optimized for editing but printout is
> optimized for a good reading experimence.
>
> * Hyphenation and babel generated strings (like "Chapter" or "Table of
>   Contents") depend on the setting of "greek" vs. "polutonikogreek".
>
>   Just greek language is *not* enough!

i have just tried it and don't see what you mean. i took
polutonikogreek-test-campbell.lyx
added "Part" environment once in "Greek" once in "polutonikogreek" languages as
implicit
language and in both cases i got greek translation of "Part" and title.

> > that when accent-tilde is used with some char, it does not produce
> > 'single' character but it produces combined unicode character (i.e.
> > accent char+normal char). iirc this is correct from the unicode point
> > of view - single accented char is equivalent to combining char + normal
> > letter. this works on the screen, however utf8x is not able to decode
> > the second case unless we use \unicodecombine macro in tex output.
>
> This it the situation with accent-tilde under utf8 input encodings
> (utf8 as well as utf8x) where a combining-char + char is translated to
> "<combining-char>{<char>}".
>
> In "traditional" 7 or 8 bit encodings, it is exported to LaTex as
> "\<accent>{<char>}" which works well with "greek" but results in wrong
> output with "polutonikogreek".

is there some reason to use 7-8 bit encodings when we have utf8x?

> Conclusion
> ----------
> please comment on:
>
> 1. LyX handling of combining-chars (whether input via accent-* lfuns or
>    other means) needs fixing -- independently of Greek support.
>
>    I'd like to continue discussion of combining-chars in a separate
>    thread.

i agree, but it would be better to move it on devel list.

> 2. LyX should support the language variant polutonikogreek.
>
>    + Consesus abaout the GUI name is needed. (Suggestion Greek (polytonic))
>
>    + add a line to LYXDIR/languages (patch exists)
>
>    + the GUI name needs to be translated into all supported languages
>      (easy but some work to do)

above points are not a problem.

>    + The tilde (~) is re-defined as an accent char in polutonikogreek
>      (similar to " in german).

i see it problematic (in ideological sense). do we use such a 'hackish' mode in
any other language settings? i know Uwe was fiddling with support of exotic
languages so i would wait also for his voice about this matter once he's back.

pavel