On 25 Jun 2008, John wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 June 2008 12:39:13 pm Nigel Pegram wrote:
> > Hi Adi,
> >
> > Offhand, no, I don't know the default settings. It'll be around
> > somewhere, but that doesn't help you <grin>.
> >
> > The reason I suggested speaking with the publisher is that they should
> > be able to inform you concerning good margin sizes. The correct answer
> > depends on a number of factors, including text (point) size, paper
> > size, number of pages (creep) and the style of binding (perfect,
> > burst, ring, etc). If they can't/won't help you, you could aways print
> > a sample page from lyx and take the measurements from that.
> In general the outer margins should re roughly twice the width of the inner
> margins.
> This is so that when the book is opened out, the whitespace outside columns
> of
> text appears equal. If you look at published books you will see that this is
> so.
> Of course the type of binding can affect how well that book can open out and
> this may mean that the inner margins need to compensate  for this by being
> increased a little. But the visible width of the two inner margins should
> still look equal to one outer margin

Lulu specifies that for their distribution packages (for Amazon etc.)
the inner and outer margins must be the same, although you are allowed a
gutter on the inside. In practice, I've found that it's best not to have
the gutter and just set them all the same.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and sceptical articles)