Tom, you can specify the resolution with -r300 (that's the maximun)

You may also consider embedding the fonts with: -dEmbeddAllFonts=true
-dSubsetFonts=true

You may find this interesting:

http://wiki.ljackson.us/EPS_Optimization#Convert_.26_CleanUp_EPS

Nicolás

Tom Schlangen wrote:
Dear Olivier,

I did the following in Windows (one line, mail agent may wrap it):
gswin32c -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dEPSCrop -sDEVICE=epswrite -sOutputFile=dummy2.eps dummy.eps

I tried this, but ...

The resulting image displays fine in LyX with or without the
clipping options

While this is true regarding the bounding box problem, the
resulting picture quality I get (LyX display and printout) is very
poor compared to the other method I used so far. I am using AFPL
Ghostscript V8.54, because it is installed on the Windows machine anyway.

I will try some younger Windows versions of ghostscript tomorrow and report
back.

This morning I tried the GPL GS V8.61 windows binary using your suggested
method too, sadly also giving bad quality/resolution results.

Any suggestion to improve the output quality?

Regards,

    Tom Schlangen