Hi all,

In a different thread, Gunter Milde penned these words:

> You need to clone both, LyX layout::
>
>   Style Questions
>      CopyStyle   Enumeration

That is THE most powerful LyX idiom I've ever seen.

As most of you know, my biggest objection to LyX is the excruciating pain
required to make my own environments in the layout file.

"Excruciating pain" is an overstatement. I was a contract software developer
from 1984-2002, so obviously I can make the environments. My problem is that,
for me, it's very hard to switch mindsets from author to tech geek and back
again in order to create a style.

Now I don't have to. When I come upon a situation requiring a new style, I
just put this in my layout file:

Style MyNewStyle
        CopyStyle Standard
End

And I go on about my business. When I have time I'll check whether I can
actually change appearances in LyX like this:

Style MyNewStyle
        CopyStyle Standard
        LeftMargin            MMM
        RightMargin           MMM
        Font
                Size            Larger
        EndFont
End

If that's possible, then within LyX I can see at a glance that my new style is
custom, and that I later have to develop the LaTeX to complete it.

After several days or weeks of creating this type of dummy styles, one day I
can go into programmer mode and make all the styles without the pressure of
having to slam out 2000 words that day.

So Gunter -- thanks SO much for that idiom. It makes LyX a much more useful
tool.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package