On Tuesday 22 July 2008 22:54:14 Pavel Sanda wrote:

> now you are joking right? :) i just see all the bugs just because '>' is
> redirection. and imho manually generate \begin_layout Standard is more
> simpler
> then typing <layout name="Standard">.

You are welcome to reimplement lyx in shell, good luck. :-)

> now imagine those regexps where you need to escape all those \"
>
> in conclusion xml will be pain for people trying to use .lyx files
> directly with scripts etc.

Clearly you did not had to deal with the lyx file format like I did. :-)
If your idea of a parser is a set of regexp's that is so 80's. ;-)

This seems to me like the debate between strong and bold. I want to parse the
lyx file on a content based stream, not just a set of lines.

After the change to xml the regularity will still be there with the added
bonus that finally it will be consistent. We took 6 years to clean the lyx
format to a reasonable state and we are still not there yet.

It is funny to see all this nostalgia around something that is/was a
nightmare. If the syntax was so clear you would not have the problem of
crashing lyx with a bad formed file (a file modified by scripts).

--
José Abílio