> On 14.07.08, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> > "G. Milde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > compiling LyX from the source took me some hours, so I thought I could
> > > install from a tarball on my second machine. However, trying with
> > >
> > >   make dist-bzip2
>
> > Does it work now?
>
> Sort of: it complained about a too long path name for one of the .svn/...
> paths.

yes this happens when you dont use svn export before making tarballs
(see release procedure in wiki).

> Only now I realized that the dist* targets create a *source* tarball,
> while I would like a *binary* tarball for transfer of the compiled lyx to
> my second machine.
>
> Is there an easy way to make a *binary* tarball out of the SVN sources?

clean solution is to make binary package and each linux distribution has
its own way of working with binary packages.

if you are interested only in local instalation, you can configure with some
--prefix=/home/guenter/lyx etc, make the whole svn tree and run only make
install
on all computers you want to have binary install in your home...
of course only in case all these computers have the same architecture (cpu,
libraries)
etc.

pavel