rgheck wrote:
Denné Reed wrote:
I use LyX for scientific papers but have had problems with both
collaborators and editors. Many collaborators are unfamiliar with LyX
/ LaTeX and it lacks strong collaboration tools (change tracking etc.).

LyX does have change tracking. I've used it. Unfamiliarity is of course
something we can change. ;-)

Right, it does work but is not as easy to use as Word'. But I think Denné was more talking about collaboration tools with other word processors. This is not really possible I'm afraid.

Concrete suggestions for how we could improve collaboration would be
more than welcome. Post them here for comment, or on lyx-devel, and then
add them to bugzilla once we have some clarity. I know that this is a
big issue for a lot of people, and it's something a lot of us think
about. It's way too late to do anything on this score for 1.6, but for
1.7....

Yep, I also have some ideas how to improve it, hopefully for 1.7 :-)

I've tried sharing drafts with PDF but that requires colleagues to
purchase full versions of Acrobat, and still the tools are tracking
changes are not as good.

I'm puzzled by this remark. Why does that require Acrobat? Is this for
notating PDFs and the like? If so, you might want to look into AREnable:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/arenable/. And my understanding is that
there are FOSS pdf viewers on the near horizon that will do this.

Right, Acrobat is a mammoth; On Windows there are also a number of free as in beer pdf manipulation tool wich allows annotation and such. I like Foxit for example.

Abdel.