On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Zan wrote:

I'm fairly new to LyX only used it this past 6 months for my masters
thesis.  I have not come across a way to have it sequentially number all
figures in a document.

Zan,

  I believe that you're correct, and that my memory is faulty. Looking at my
book (published 2005 and written using LyX) I see that figures and tables
are numbered by the chapter. It's just been so long since I've included
either of those in my articles or white papers that I mis-remembered.

Thanks for the reminder,

Rich