Hello there!

I use the Windows version of Lyx 1.5.6.  I cannot understand the
existing instructions for how to use different reference styles.
Believe me, I have tried, but the answers are simply not comprehensible
to people like me, who while not computer illiterate, are not intimately
familiar with the structure of Lyx.

I want to produce author (year) or author [year] style references in the
text.  Checking natbib under Documents/Settings/Bibliography does not
seem to do this despite "author-year" appearing in the natbib style box.
When I go to Insert/Citation, the Formatting dialog box is grayed out.

I have downloaded a number of .bst files, for example, qje.bst, but Lyx
bombs when running Latex to produce printed output.  I am willing to
install whatever style files I need, but I don't have any way of
figuring out what I need.  Any help out there?

Thanks in advance,

Curtis Simon