On 22.08.08, Guillaume Larocque wrote:
> Guillaume Larocque wrote:
> >> Ok, here are the exact symptoms of the problem. If I have a few floats
> >> inserted in a sequence in Lyx, as soon as Latex decides that one float
> >> will be on a separate page, all the floats following it will also be
> >> placed on a separate page, regardless of their size.
> >
> >Are you saying that after the first float gets a separate page, each of
> >the subsequent floats sits alone on a page?

> Yes. What I have in a few places in my document is something like: one
> large float, 4 smaller floats, one other large float and then 3
> smaller floats again.

> Latex decides to put the one large float on a separate page and then
> it puts all the rest of the floats on seperate pages
> **also at the end of the Chapter.**

It looks to me as if your documentclass (or some loaded package or
preamble setting) creates a "page of floats" only **at the end of a
chapter**.

As the order of floats is never changed, subsequent floats in this
chapter are placed behind this "page of floats". As a new chapter starts
on a new page, these floats will also be alone on a page.

> Its probably deciding that there are too many floats that will break
> the text. I get that behaviour even if I select 'top of page' for all
> the floats.

What happens, if you activate the "ignore LaTeX rules" button?

> I managed to get the floats pretty much where I want them with info
> from this website: http://people.cs.uu.nl/piet/floats/node1.html

> Particularly with the use of:
> \afterpage{\clearpage}

> and by moving some floats between paragraphs. I was just hoping that
> Latex would figure all this out for me.

As "good layout" (and font-placing) is a matter of taste, LaTeX cannot
please all without some configuration efforts from the side of users
that have a different taste from the documentclass designers.

This is why typesetting with LaTeX/LyX is straightforward if you find a
documentstyle you happen to like (or which fullfills the requirements
of the institution you write for) but is a pain, if you do not like the
default output.

Günter