On 28.08.08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> G. Milde wrote:

>> For on-screen viewing (e.g. of generated PDF) I'd recommend the Vera
>> family ("Bera Serif" in the Document>Settings).

> I tried this in a beamer presentation (originally Latin Modern, default
> size).  Apparently the Bera fonts are bigger, because some text was
> driven off the slide.

Different metrics for different fonts is perfectly normal.
(Times is especially narrow, Bookman especially wide, Palatino and CM in the
middle. Also, the x-hight varies.)

> I had to change the document default to 10 pt to
> get things right.  Is this normal?

No, in a beamer presentation you should rather put less text on a slide than
decrease the script size so that the audience still has a chance to
recognise what is written ;-)

An example for an especially wide font intended for presentations are the
lxfonts http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/help/Catalogue/entries/lxfonts.html
with discussion of the topic in
http://dante.ctan.org/CTAN/fonts/lxfonts/doc/fonts/lxfonts/LXfonts-demo.pdf

Günter