On 01.09.2008, at 14:58, wangyq wrote:

Dear all:
I found it is really boring that the lyx system outputs no error message. I am working a book with lyx. Now I want export it to pdf and forward it to others. But I found all export functions in lyx are dead, including exporting to dvi, pdf, ps, latex etc. After I run these export functions, they immediately dies without error message. Someone suggest that I delelte some paragraphs and find errors. Of course the method can not work well for a long long book. Why not let lyx output error messages? The module is very important for all programming language.

Wang,
I usually solve this kind of problems by starting LyX in debug mode.
Just start it from the console with:

lyx -dbg feature[,feature]...

Where features can be taken from the following list (printed out by just invoking "lyx -dbg"):

List of supported debug flags:
         0         none  No debugging message
         1         info  General information
         2         init  Program initialisation
         4          key  Keyboard events handling
         8          gui  GUI handling
        16       parser  Lyxlex grammar parser
        32        lyxrc  Configuration files reading
        64        kbmap  Custom keyboard definition
       128        latex  LaTeX generation/execution
       256       mathed  Math editor
       512         font  Font handling
      1024       tclass  Textclass files reading
      2048        lyxvc  Version control
      4096    lyxserver  External control interface
      8192         roff  Keep *roff temporary files
     16384       action  User commands
     32768       lyxlex  The LyX Lexxer
     65536       depend  Dependency information
    131072       insets  LyX Insets
    262144        files  Files used by LyX
    524288     workarea  Workarea events
   1048576    insettext  Insettext/tabular messages
   2097152     graphics  Graphics conversion and loading
   4194304      changes  Change tracking
   8388608     external  External template/inset messages
  16777216     painting  RowPainter profiling
2147483648        debug  Developers' general debug messages
4294967295          any  All debugging messages

You probably should start with "lyx -dbg latex", if that does not help try "lyx -dbg any". However, in the latter case, LyX will dump tons of messages to the console.

 Daniel