On Thursday 11 September 2008 12:02:05 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Steve Litt wrote:
> > It seems to me that from the dawn of time (2001 for me), getting LyX to
> > work with a layout file anywhere but /home/myuid/.lyx/layouts was
> > extremely difficult, with no reproducible procedure. You'd create a
> > symlink from where the file really existed to /home/myuid/.lyx/layouts,
> > and then after about an hour of fiddling around, the document class would
> > somehow magically show up in your list.
>
> Steve,
>
>    Most of my layouts are in /usr/local/share/lyx/layouts/, but a few are
> in ~/.lyx/layouts. I've not had any issues using them from either place
> regardless of LyX version.

Yes, if you keep all your layout files in those two places, there will never
be any problem. My issue is I like to keep my layout source code in the same
directory as my book source code. Pre 1.5.x, LyX wouldn't look for layout
files anywhere but /usr/local/share/lyx/layouts or ~/.lyx/layouts, so you'd
need to create a symlink in a place where LyX looked, namely ~/.lyx/layouts.

However, starting with 1.5.x, LyX looked for layout files in the current
directory, but sometimes finds them and sometimes doesn't, so if you don't
have the symlink you might or might not have your document class available if
you only put the layout file in the current directory. But if you symlink it,
then you might get duplicates, one in the current directory and one in
~/.lyx/layouts, in which case all sorts of bad things happen.

>    I have no LyX layouts with an .src extension.

That's the whole point -- the .src is my deliberate sabotage so that
incarnation of the file is NOT recognized as a layout. Then the symlink will
be the only copy seen, and will fire up right away.

>    Obviously, our milages vary.

The main place our mileages vary is in preferences. You prefer to keep your
layout source code in ~/.lyx/layouts, and I prefer to keep it in the
directory with the book. If your preferences shifted to mine, then you'd need
to do my workaround to get things to consistently work.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US