In trying to find the character "0xfeff" I've learned a few interesting
things about Lyx's find and replace.

---At least in some cases 0xfeff is the opening quotation character for
some word processors.

---When imported into Lyx this character is converted into code. For
example these foreign quotation marks around the word "simplicity" look
like this when opened in a text editor:

\begin_inset Quotes eld
\end_inset

simplicity
\begin_inset Quotes erd
\end_inset

So, unlike regular Lyx quotation marks, for these foreign quotation
marks what is shown on screen and what is found in the source code in a
Lyx file is completely different.

---The way I discovered this is that I noticed one of these foreign
quotation marks in the Lyx file. It is smaller then the Lyx quotation
marks. But when I copied that quotation character into the Lyx find
window it failed to find the character in the file. INSTEAD Lyx converts
the character into a normal Lyx quotation character and that is what is
found. So, the Lyx find and replace feature is not useful in this
situation---it would be very helpful if this were fixed! Therefore, I
looked at the file using Emacs and discovered the above code.

---So, I decided to try to use the find and replace in Emacs. This also
did not work because changing 0xfeff to " globally messes up a bunch of
boxes (probably 50 or more) which I placed in the file using Lyx. I have
already edited the whole file (a book) in Lyx getting it into the proper
format and trying to manually replace any foreign looking characters.
Obviously, I have missed at least one (actually I know there are many)
as the file still cannot be converted to pdf. I then tried to search
through the file manually, but still failed as the situation proved to
be even more complex than I thought, and more complex than I have time
to explain right now.

Lou