Dave,
Those issues were identified and solutions derived based on LyX 1.5.2 on WinXP with an older version of moderncv. I noticed that someone made a note on the Wiki that the moderncv maintainer updated the package to avoid the dropped labels for the first entries in sections. I have not messed with the new version of moderncv in any newer version of LyX to check the other items. If someone does, please post so we can update the Wiki page.

Thanks. Do you have a sample of a cv using this class, that might give me an idea of what goes in the preamble and how it works?

Graham