itsme213 wrote:
Is there any way to associate user-defined metadata (such as tags) with lyx elements? e.g. can I say paragraph 1 is "hero" and paragraph 2 is "villain"?

Is there a way to get this metadata in any of the outputs e.g. as "role=..." in docbook or "class=..." in xhtml?

This is, in large part, the point of using different paragraph styles, such as Section, Quote, etc. The LaTeX output will use appropriate environments, commands, etc, for the different types. You can define your own types, as well: See the Customization manual for the details.

Docbook will do something similar, though I've never used that myself.

As for HTML, what happens there is decided by your converter. LyX doesn't control that.

rh