Dear All,

Thanks for your comments!

I used James' suggestion and deleted each section. My document is more than
120 pages, so I spent a good few hours fixing the problem.

Today I found Paul's comment which was "right on the money"!  This was
exactly the cause.

For some reason, two citations in two separate footnotes went crazy. I can't
even see why in the bibtex file, but when I re-entered them as new citations
in the bibtex database, it works.

Quite annoying.  :-)

Thanks all for your help,

Erez