I should add that the keyboard freeze does not happen when I use the mouse to access these menu items. This is what led to my hypothesis about improper keyboard focus transfer.

Manoj Rajagopalan wrote:
Hi,

  I describe a possible bug.

Sometimes when I use key sequences too fast, LyX stops responding to keypresses. For example, when I perform the sequence Alt-I + L to insert a label, the label edit box comes up and displays the text cursor but the keys I press don't show up. When I cancel the dialog, the keys that should have shown up get purged at the cursor location in the main document at the first keyboard event after the dialog-cancel. It looks like when I issue menu accelerator commands too fast, the keys I subsequently press get queued someplace in the main document window's context and the input focus isn't being diverted to the dialog. Then when I kill the dialog the main window dequeues the key events I generated. My hypothesis is that some synchronization essential to remapping the input focus from the main thread to the dialog thread is failing.

LyX in general is slow to respond to keyboard events (even when typing text, when compared to other text editors). It seems like if keyboard response is improved overall, the above freezing issue would disappear simply from timing syncs.

  Has anyone else observed these? I am using LyX 1.6.0 on FC8/i686

Thanks,
Manoj