As far as I know, the addition of a letter to the year, which is useful in
the case you cite in the same paper 2 or more publications by the same
author with different titles but published in the same year, depends from
the specific citation style used and selected once and for all in the
selection window in LyX where you also select the bib file. For example,
econometrica, which is one of the citation styles proposed by LyX, manages
the addition of a letter to the publication year in the needed cases.
Pierfranco