On Monday 24 November 2008, Johan Tegin wrote:
> How to get subfigure captions in memoir without resorting to ERT?
>
> I am merging some documents into my thesis, and some of them contain
> subfigures. Now, the thesis class (kthesis.cls) is based upon memoir, which
> seem to have an issue with subfigure.  (LatTeX Error: Command [EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> already defined.).
>
> One of the suggested solution is using the subfig package instead. However,
> LyX automatically adds \usepackage{subfig} to the latex preamble when a
> subfigure caption is added to a figure via the GUI. This result in the
> above error. Can adding subfigure be avoided? Can I force LyX to use subfig
> instead? Or is there perhaps any other solution to this dilemma without
> resorting to ERT?
>
> LyX 1.5.3 under Linux.
>
> Thanks,
> Johan

Johan,

I ran into exactly this problem a few months ago when I decided to convert a
rather large document from book(KOMA-script) to memoir, to take advantage of
some of the neat features in memoir.

My solution (after trying various mechanisms to get subfigures to work) was to
replace the figures containing subfigures with a single figure float, putting
more than one image in one float.  The only disadvantage I found is the lack
of separate captions, which I overcame by using phrases such as "on the left"
in the single caption referring to multiple images.

--
Les