Hi Ivan,
Just to follow up on Paul's solution, you can go one step further and make the equation number automatic. Suppose that you have equation (3) and you also have a rewritten form of that equation, call it (3'). Do all of the steps that Paul has indicated, except rather than putting in the number 3, click on the cross-reference tool in the LyX toolbar. Then select the equation of interest and then apply. To refer to equation 3' elsewhere in the paper is a little in-elegant -- insert the cross reference to point to the original form of the equation, then go into math mode (inline equation) right after the cross reference and insert the prime symbol. Now, if you add or delete equations before the original equation, all of the numbers automatically update.

-Neil

Neil Hepburn, Economics Instructor
Department of Social Sciences, Augustana Faculty
University of Alberta
4901-46 Avenue
Camrose, Alberta  T4V 2R3

Phone (780) 679-1588