Paul wrote:

> TeXLive takes some adjusting to for us MiKTeX users.  :-)  Whereas
> MiKTeX bundles most of the LaTeX packages individually, TeXLive bundles
> clusters of them in one package.  For instance, subfigure is in
> texlive-latex-extra (as are wrapfig and nomencl).

Ah, this is making more sense.  I'm used to most of the common ones already
being there, or being installed as-needed.  (Also, I apologize for the delay
in my response: I originally posted using the Nabble interface linked to on
lyx.org, but for some reason replies don't show up there, so I didn't think
anyone had responded.  I was expecting something like the Google Groups
interface for usenet...I guess Nabble doesn't work that way?)

Paul wrote:

> 2.  There's a port of the MiKTeX package manager for Linux.  Last I
> checked it still lacked a graphical interface, so you have to run it
> from a terminal.  The advantage is that you can install individual
> packages as needed.  Note that, unlike MiKTeX on Windows, you can't use
> it to install missing packages on the fly.

I found that port, actually, but after compiling it I found that LyX doesn't
seem to recognize any packages I install with it.  I'm not really sure
what's going on there.  The MiKTeX PM reports that the packages are
installed, though.

Jürgen wrote:

> TeXLive 2008 has a package manager as well, including a GUI, that lets you
> install and update individual packages.

I'll have to look into that.  I didn't realize there was one, since I didn't
see it in the Ubuntu repositories.  (I'm afraid that on Linux I've been
spoiled by having just about everything prepackaged there. :) )

Michael