While I am not a developer, and so cannot provide authoritative insight into this, my experience is that in 1.6 all references are available from all child documents IF you have the "master" or "parent" document loaded.

Note, however, that there are some issues with macros. A macro defined in a parent document will compile fine in a child document, but the instant preview feature is broken. No word as to if/when that will be fixed.

James