On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

No, I was referring to the File filter list set by LyX for this file dialog. I
assume you are building LyX yourself. Could you apply the attached patch and
check if this helps?

Jürgen,

  That did the trick! I applied the patch, rebuilt the tarball, and re-ran
the SlackBuild script. Re-installed the application and it imported the text
file as usual.

  I still have a few keyboard quirks to fix (e.g., pressing the [Del] key
displays the spade card suit image rather than deleting the space after the
point), but I'll get those worked out.

  Will you apply the patch to the source tarball on the web site?

Rich