I agree that this is what I SHOULD be getting (that is what I had expected), but instead, when I use the Section, subsection, etc.
I get  numbers that simply continue from the last section of the paper.

Erez Yerushalmi wrote:
Hi Ehud,

After doing "start appendix here", like you did
You continue using the Section, subsection, subsubsection system, but now you should start getting something like
A.1
A.1.1
B.1

and so on.