Ittay wrote:
I recently installed lyx 1.4.3 on my Eee PC 901 and encountered the following
problem:
In equation mode, when I enter a LaTex command, the symbol that appears is
wrong, but when I compile, it's okay again. For example: If I type \infty
the symbol that appears is an x, but when I compile it's the correct
infinity sign. If I type \int, what appears on screen is a square, and when
I compile it's the correct integral sign.

IIRC, this looks like you do not have all the needed fonts installed.
ftp://ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/contrib/
contains some fonts which could be helpful (Bakoma or LaTeX-xft package)

Also, have a look at
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/Troubleshooting

Best regards,

Olivier